Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What drives you to be better?

I was on my morning bike ride and I was riding great.  Over the last couple of months I've noticed a fairly significant improvement in my average miles-per-hour while I've also noticed that my average heart rate has decreased somewhat significantly as well.  All of a sudden I'm riding about 1.0 miles per hour faster (about 2.2 mph faster than last year at this time) - and plan to improve that as well - and my Average HBM (heartbeats per minute) is about 7-10% lower than what it was just a couple of months ago.  The change?  I started cross training by running on the treadmill and doing the eliptical 2-3 nights a week in addition to my normal riding schedule (when it's not windy - I hate riding in the wind).
Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France
Why am I doing this other than the fact that I love cycling and want to see how good I can be at 46+ along with trying to manage my weight?  I have a riding buddy who calls me "Lance" because of how much I ride and how fast I ride (at least relative to my friend).  I always chuckle and defer humbly that I am far from him or any other pro cyclist, not to mention lots of great hobby cyclists.  However, I am competitive and if someone is going to call me Lance, I better try to live up to the name.  With this in mind in addition to my normal competitive nature, I started training harder both on the bike and off, and I am trying to watch what I eat - my sweet tooth is challenging some times - o.k. most times.
I then try to apply this same attitude and mentality to my business by analyzing what I can do to build more relationships - both referral and client.  I don't worry too much about my bottom line because if I take care of my relationships, they will help me create more relationships until I have enough to achieve my bottom line goals.  I look for niches (FHA 203(k) Streamline, Energy Efficient Mortgage, etc. - www.YouTube.com/thewunderliteam) and try to develop strategies that will help my Realtor partners build their business which positively impacts mine.  I also offer value-added services such as bond market analysis and the Energy Efficient Mortgage to provide benefits to my clients.
So what drives (rides) you?  What makes you want to improve your business?  What ideas do you have to help your fellow business partners achieve their goals as well?  It's the new year and a great time to assess what you can do to improve on last year.  Let's pick it up and sustain it throughout the year - not just for the first month.  Please share your ideas / comments.

D. Jed Wunderli
Certified Mortgage Planner
Alterra Home Loans
702-812-1214

No comments: